Login   Register   FAQ   Search 

Postby Ty-rant_13 » Jan 31, 2014 3:49 pm

HAUNT MANIAC wrote:Sorry, I just thought this was suposed to be something we've never seen before. I've now officially lowered my expectations, and just think how stupid these big boxes are going to look going up the side of our mountain. It wasn't too long ago when we were talking about a launch coaster coming out the top of the mountain and now . . . a big video game.

Did I miss something? I don't remember seeing or reading anything about giant boxes going up. If they went to all the trouble of designing The Ruins to look and feel like the rest of Wonder Mountain (along with the entrance they punched a hole in the mountain for) I'm sure they're going to go to all the effort they can to blend Wonder Mountain's Guardian into the rest of the mountain.

This is NOT Disaster Transport, it is Matt Ouimet (who worked for Disney for seventeen years!) planning "renovation of legacy attractions." And let's not forget that rides at Disney and Universal generally have to build entirely new buildings for them where Wonderland is using a previously designed structure, and they include the design cost as well as the actual construction price. Wonderland did not DESIGN the technology, they are just BUILDING the ride, so they're not including that part of the cost. If we consider Wonder Mountain as part of the ride (which it is) then it would be closer to $15 million, rather than $10 million.

They MIGHT put up a series of boxes to create a lift hill tunnel, but if they do, they'll pour concrete over the thing and make it look like the mountain. However, it seems far more likely to me that they will have the lift hill out in the open. Why not? Yes the blasters might get wet in the rain but I don't see that being a big problem. We still don't even know what the cars look like!

We have been seeing a lot of talk about TrioTech's technology, but that is not the entire ride! It is in the "coaster genre," meaning it isn't just "a big video game" (but yes it is also that), but a ride with drops, turns, and the secret finale (which for all we know could be a launch out of the top of the mountain). It will most likely only have creatures that appear on a screen to shoot (personally I like this better than having a tiny dot to recognize the shot next to a huge target), but they might have fire and water along with the simulated wind.

WE JUST DON'T KNOW YET!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

Ty-rant_13

Junior CWManiac

Postby HAUNT MANIAC » Jan 31, 2014 4:43 pm

The boxes I refer to are the actual cars. They look like you are sitting in a big box. Don't count on any kind of launch, this is not a roller coaster.

HAUNT MANIAC

Junior CWManiac

Postby Ty-rant_13 » Jan 31, 2014 9:55 pm

Dineen Beaven said this is in the coaster genre, and that ARK manufacturing is making the track and cars, NOT TrioTech (during Coaster Crew's interview). TrioTech is only doing the screens, images, blasters, targeting system, 3-D effects, and multi-sensory experiences (simulated motion/wind and whatever else they put in). ARK manufacturing is designing the track, cars, lift hill, hardware, and whatever other roller coaster elements exist in the final ride, so whatever box-like cars you see from TrioTech are NOT what Wonder Mountain's Guardian is going to be using!
There are confirmed "multiple drops" (staff during announcement via pcwnut). I do not actually think that this will have a launch, but I'm just saying that we don't know what will happen (After all, Dineen said that at least MOST of the rest of the ride after the lift hill will be inside). I'll have to go on it before I decide for sure, but for now I'm considering this an interactive dark-ride coaster combo.

I'll say it again:

WE JUST DON'T KNOW YET!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

Ty-rant_13

Junior CWManiac

Postby xlcanada » Feb 01, 2014 1:25 pm

Personally, the number one thing that I will be looking for in this ride is the synchronization of the technology. The lift hill, the brakes and drops, the screens and the "guns" all working together in one continuous ride. That would impress me a lot.
At the speed of life, we are bound to crash with each other.

xlcanada

CWManiac

Postby khris » Feb 02, 2014 5:07 am

kunpc1 wrote:
khris wrote:Is CWMania working on an update?

We'll see what we can dig up now that it's the new year :)

Thanks for those photos!

khris

Junior CWManiac

Postby Duck » Feb 02, 2014 5:16 pm

I think those who've hyped up the ride so much in their heads could find that if they lower their expectations just a little bit, they might be pleasantly surprised by the final product.

My husband and I keep joking that it's going to be like Black Diamond at Knoebels with laser pointers. ;)

I'm sure it will be better than that, but comparing it to Forbidden Journey at IOA? Really?

-Iain
I've ridden 445 different coasters around the world.

Duck

CWManiac

Postby HAUNT MANIAC » Feb 03, 2014 9:41 pm

I agree, Duck. Let's not hope for something that won't happen.

HAUNT MANIAC

Junior CWManiac

Postby Duck » Feb 12, 2014 5:47 pm

Canada's Wonderland posted 3 new photos to Facebook today, including this one:

The wrapped track piece looks to be this piece, with this curved rail in the foreground.

What I find interesting about this: The track ends at the floor-mounted curved rail, which leads me to believe that it is for a turntable. The track piece ends with a slight downhill slant, and no bolt hole pattern (i.e., it doesn't bolt up to another track section - it's a blunt end, like what you'd see for a switch or transfer table). There's also a C-channel below it - suitable for a guide roller to keep the rail ends aligned - again, typical of what you see on a transfer table or switch.

It could very well be simply part of a switch to shunt vehicles in and out of a maintenance area - Time Warp uses a track switch like that...

...or it could be that the vehicles change orientation/direction mid-ride. :)

(I think it's very likely the former; but it's something of technical interest, nevertheless.)

-Iain

Duck

CWManiac

Postby Ty-rant_13 » Feb 13, 2014 9:39 am

That does sound pretty awesome, though I don't think I see exactly what you're talking about. A turntable would be pretty sweet and it should keep things moving pretty well. Also, I had already theorized about the car spinning during the ride, but if you see something that agrees with that, that will be intense!

I think the third photo is actually more interesting because it's just a view from the 60 foot level of Wonder Mountain (which will be the top of the lift hill), but it is from a different part of the mountain than I thought! Assuming they didn't just walk around to a random spot at the 60 foot level, it looks like WMG will be more-or-less visible from the North side of International Street!

I mean, I guess they could have just walked to a random spot, but why do that?
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

Ty-rant_13

Junior CWManiac

Postby bratman » Feb 13, 2014 11:27 am

I think they just wanted to show off that side of the park in the snow, with Leviathan as a backdrop.
Paul S.- ACE assistant regional rep. - Canada.

coaster count : 450 (steel 350, wood 100)
http://www.justcoastingalong.blogspot.com
bratman

CWManiac

Postby Ty-rant_13 » Feb 13, 2014 11:42 am

But then why did they post it in their WMG album?

I mean, I guess they could just be that careless (we all remember the Behemoth first drop confusion). Oh, well. Just a few more months and we'll know for sure!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

Ty-rant_13

Junior CWManiac

Postby Duck » Feb 14, 2014 4:24 pm

The park just confirmed that it is in fact a turntable switch for the maintenance area.

-Iain

Duck

CWManiac

Postby xlcanada » Feb 14, 2014 10:20 pm

I like that we can finally see the inside of the mountain. It's pretty huge! I didn't get a chance to do the 2013 Haunt mazes in the mountain. Did the mazes take place where the tracks are now? Or in some other place?

^ CW also updated their Twitter feed that there are 10 different contractors working on this project so far!
At the speed of life, we are bound to crash with each other.

xlcanada

CWManiac

Postby CTC » Feb 15, 2014 12:16 pm

Also new for 2014 looks like Backlot Stunt Coaster cars are getting some new paint. I think they should focus on getting the special effects back, oh well. The cars looked pretty bland anyways.
Attachments

1559513_10152008996053924_762029803_o.jpg
Top 5 Coasters
1. Blue Fire
2. Rock N Rollercoaster
3. Behemoth
4. Euro Mir
5. Maverick

CTC

Junior CWManiac

Postby Johnlloyd » Feb 15, 2014 5:50 pm

CTC wrote:Also new for 2014 looks like Backlot Stunt Coaster cars are getting some new paint. I think they should focus on getting the special effects back, oh well. The cars looked pretty bland anyways.

Special effects are too expensive and anyways Cedar Fair wants to leave the "movie stunts" behind in the past, as what I believe is their goal that they have already achieved. It's nice to see that Backlot Stunt Coaster's cars/trains are getting some updates. 8) I noticed a couple of seasons ago they replaced the Mini coopers with some plain generic car design. I am glad to see Cedar Fair is making Canada's Wonderland their own which is attracting more visitors each season.
Going to Canada's Wonderland and been to Kings Island this summer!

Johnlloyd

Junior CWManiac

PreviousNext