Cedar Fair - General Discussion

Discuss all aspects of other amusement parks here.
Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Re: Cedar Fair - General Discussion

Postby Johnlloyd » 21 Feb 2016, 04:10

Here's a link to Newsplusnotes' report on Cedar Fair's 2015 Full Year Results Call. Below are some highlights from the report.

-24.4 million people had visited Cedar Fair parks during the 2015 season (Up 1.1 million from last year)
    -Guest spending was at $46.20
    -Overall net revenue up 7% to 1.24 billion
    -One unnamed property just ended it's 7 years of increasing revenues

Last year proved to be an amazing year for Cedar Fair! Hopefully this year is even better! 8)
New for 2017 at Canada's Wonderland: Soaring Timbers and Muskoka Plunge!

My blog: http://www.amusementviews.blogspot.ca

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby Johnlloyd » 07 Mar 2016, 14:05

Below is a list of 2016 opening dates for Cedar Fair parks in chronological order. 8)

Amusement Parks:

-Knott's Berry Farm: Open Year-Round
-California's Great America: Friday, March 25th
-Carowinds: Friday, March 25th
-Kings Dominion: Friday, March 25th
-Gilroy Gardens: Sunday, March 27th
-Kings Island: Saturday, April 16th
-Worlds of Fun: Saturday, April 16th
-Dorney Park: Saturday, April 30th
-Canada's Wonderland: Sunday, May 1st
-Cedar Point: Saturday, May 7th
-Valleyfair: Friday, May 13th
-Michigan's Adventure: Wednesday, May 25th

Water Parks included with admission:

-Carowinds (Carolina Harbor): Saturday, May 21st
-Worlds of Fun (Oceans of fun): Friday, May 27th
-California's Great America (Boomerang Bay): Saturday, May 28th
-Kings Island (Soak City): Saturday, May 28th
-Valleyfair (Soak City): Saturday, May 28th
-Canada's Wonderland (Splash Works): Saturday, May 28th
-Dorney Park (Wildwater Kingdom): Saturday, May 28th
-Kings Dominion (Soak City): Saturday, May 28th
-Michigan's Adventure (WildWater Adventure): Saturday, May 28th

Separate Admission Water Parks:

-Cedar Point's Indoor Castaway Bay: Open Year-Round
-Knott's Soak City: Saturday, May 21st
-Cedar Point (Soak City): Saturday, May 28th
-Wildwater Kingdom: Saturday, May 28th

Ty-rant_13
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Ty-rant_13 » 04 Apr 2016, 20:25

Great article about the new "book" Cedar Fair is writing under Matt Ouimet and the current management team: http://www.iaapa.org/news/funworld/funworld-magazine/cedar-fair-writes-a-new-book---april-2016

Seems like a great direction to take the company. People in Southern California like dark rides, so Knott's invested in dark rides (both renovations of existing ones and a brand new one), and expanded on "America's First Theme Park" by celebrating an anniversary of their "Ghost Town" and playing off the park's own history with Iron Reef. Carowinds likes bringing the Carolinas together, so they invested in another coaster that crosses the border, the water park got a Carolinian name (also crosses the border), and they also targeted their food offerings to a Southern style menu.

You won't see Cedar Point adding Southern food options, or doing much in terms of dark rides. They are "America's Roller Coast." Sure, they might add a dark ride, but maybe that will be for kids, themed to the Peanuts gang, or just added during an "off-year." When you hear what's new at Cedar Point, it has to make you want to travel there because it's a destination park, and a Cedar Fair dark ride likely won't do that the way a new coaster will. But that strategy DOES work at Knott's as a major addition, even if it's just a renovation because that's the best of what Knott's has to offer!

They just finished their study of Wonderland, but the article isn't clear on Cedar Fair's findings... What's do I see as its identity? CANADA'S premiere amusement park with a high volume of season pass holders. (There's definitely more to be said about it, but that's the baseline). Best decision is to up the Canadian identity and promote events throughout the season (like all of the special events Wonderland started last year and this year) to get pass holders back in the park many times over the season. Even the high scores on Guardian and now SkyHawk are surely targeted at doing the same thing! They aren't designed to be for first-time riders or far-off tourists to enjoy so much as season pass holders trying to top their own records!

Honestly, I'd say games and accommodations/tourists are not a huge part of Wonderland's identity, and Splash Works is not very high on the list either. Does it mean they'll get rid of these aspects? Doubtful, but I also don't see a whole lot of attention going into those areas. (No new game midways, major water park expansions, or hotels/campgrounds coming anytime soon.)

This doesn't mean no new coasters for Wonderland. Wonderland still has the most diverse collection of coasters in Canada, and a world-class selection of diverse thrill rides. That's a very real part of Wonderland's identity that will surely be expanded on over the years! The only thing is that we aren't going to become Knott's or Disney-lite, and we're not going to become Cedar Point. Wonderland very much has its own identity of a themed, Canadian, thrill-centre to build on, and they've clearly already started this process with Guardian, SkyHawk, a lumberjack show last year, Beavertails, and even a Tim Horton's! It'll be exciting to see what the park continues to bring us in the next few years! :)
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

Johnny Au
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Johnny Au » 05 Apr 2016, 02:03

Cedar Point already has a Southern restaurant: Chick-Fil-A (that restaurant has very strong political views aligned with the South; we will not discuss politics here)

Yes, Cedar Point, given its proximity to Canada, has many Canadian visitors. That does not mean that Cedar Point would get a Tim Hortons (even though there are many Tim Hortons in the northern United States).

Canada's Wonderland's strong Canadian theme is very evident throughout the park. No major theme park in a theme park chain has as much Canadiana as Canada's Wonderland. It is funny though that only one stall in all of Canada's Wonderland sells poutine, which is Canada's unofficial national dish.

Ty-rant_13
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Ty-rant_13 » 05 Apr 2016, 04:09

Johnny Au wrote:Cedar Point already has a Southern restaurant: Chick-Fil-A (that restaurant has very strong political views aligned with the South; we will not discuss politics here)
Yes, Cedar Point, given its proximity to Canada, has many Canadian visitors. That does not mean that Cedar Point would get a Tim Hortons (even though there are many Tim Hortons in the northern United States).
Canada's Wonderland's strong Canadian theme is very evident throughout the park. No major theme park in a theme park chain has as much Canadiana as Canada's Wonderland. It is funny though that only one stall in all of Canada's Wonderland sells poutine, which is Canada's unofficial national dish.

Actually, Cedar Point announced Chick-Fil-A will not be returning this year. It's likely it has something to do with it not fitting in with Cedar Point's identity, as well as not being open on Sundays.

Also, I did not mean Cedar Point was a destination park only for Canadians, rather a destination park in general with the focus on resort/hotel stays for families from around the country. Cedar Point did add a Beavertails stand last year, though it will also not be returning for 2016. Again, because that's not Cedar Point's identity. They are a destination park with big roller coasters, so that's what they'll keep expanding on.

I know you can only get the "Signature Series" poutine at Expo Hot Potato, but can't you get regular poutine at the other locations? In any event, we have a couple Beavertails stands and a Tim Hortons, which as mentioned are also Canadian classics on par with poutine. And yes, we will hopefully be seeing even more Canadiana at Wonderland in the near future, including more opportunity for poutine! Last year I got it both times I watched the Lumberjack show! :P
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby Johnlloyd » 30 Jun 2016, 14:34

On this day, 10 years ago, Cedar Fair had officially announced they had successfully acquired the Paramount Parks. This acquisition had immediately assumed complete operations and management of the parks. Cedar Fair had acquired the parks from CBS in cash for approximately $1.24 billion. At the time of the acquisition, Cedar Fair had owned and operated seven parks, which included Cedar Point, Knott’s Berry Farm, Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom, Valleyfair, Worlds of Fun, Geauga Lake & Wildwater Kingdom, and Michigan’s Adventure. They even owned and operated six separate admission water parks. The acquisition of Paramount Parks help raised Cedar Fair’s park count (excluding separate admission water parks) to a total of 12 parks. Also, the acquisition also helped gain operations of Bonfante Gardens (later renamed Gilroy Gardens and operates to this day) and Star Trek The Experience, which was later closed down and sold.

Photo Credit: Cedar Fair via Internet Archive Way Back Machine

Since June 30th, 2006, quite a few things have changed with the former Paramount parks which included renaming of the parks (removing the paramount prefixes) for the 2007 season, renaming of the rides and attractions removing any movie references) for the 2008 season, and removing any Hanna-Barbera and Nickelodeon referencing from the parks during the 2009 and 2010 seasons which made way for the introduction of Planet Snoopy.

Since the Paramount Acquisiton, Cedar Fair has introduced many thrilling and dynamic attraction to the former Paramount Parks such as Behemoth and Leviathan at Canada’s Wonderland, Diamondback and Intimidator at Kings Island and Carowinds respectively, Intimdator 305 at Kings Dominion, Gold Striker at California’s Great America, Banshee at Kings Island, and Fury 325 at Carowinds. These thrilling and dynamic attractions have attracted many visitors to the parks often causing a significant rise in attendance, especially Canada’s Wonderland that has been the most visited seasonal amusement park in North America for the past few years at over 3.6 million visitors last year.

It definitely has been a wild ride over the past decade since the Paramount Acquisition as the parks continue to operate and thrive. Here is the link to the official press release from Cedar Fair in regards of the Paramount Parks Acquisition. Here’s to another 10 years of Cedar Fair successfully owning and operating the former Paramount Parks! 8)

Johnny Au
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Johnny Au » 30 Jun 2016, 23:52

It is great that the press release gave Wonderland a special shout-out in that it is the most visited seasonal theme park in North America.

KDCOASTERFAN
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » 23 Jul 2016, 00:08

Johnlloyd wrote:On this day, 10 years ago, Cedar Fair had officially announced they had successfully acquired the Paramount Parks. This acquisition had immediately assumed complete operations and management of the parks. Cedar Fair had acquired the parks from CBS in cash for approximately $1.24 billion. At the time of the acquisition, Cedar Fair had owned and operated seven parks, which included Cedar Point, Knott’s Berry Farm, Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom, Valleyfair, Worlds of Fun, Geauga Lake & Wildwater Kingdom, and Michigan’s Adventure. They even owned and operated six separate admission water parks. The acquisition of Paramount Parks help raised Cedar Fair’s park count (excluding separate admission water parks) to a total of 12 parks. Also, the acquisition also helped gain operations of Bonfante Gardens (later renamed Gilroy Gardens and operates to this day) and Star Trek The Experience, which was later closed down and sold.

Photo Credit: Cedar Fair via Internet Archive Way Back Machine

Since June 30th, 2006, quite a few things have changed with the former Paramount parks which included renaming of the parks (removing the paramount prefixes) for the 2007 season, renaming of the rides and attractions removing any movie references) for the 2008 season, and removing any Hanna-Barbera and Nickelodeon referencing from the parks during the 2009 and 2010 seasons which made way for the introduction of Planet Snoopy.

Since the Paramount Acquisiton, Cedar Fair has introduced many thrilling and dynamic attraction to the former Paramount Parks such as Behemoth and Leviathan at Canada’s Wonderland, Diamondback and Intimidator at Kings Island and Carowinds respectively, Intimdator 305 at Kings Dominion, Gold Striker at California’s Great America, Banshee at Kings Island, and Fury 325 at Carowinds. These thrilling and dynamic attractions have attracted many visitors to the parks often causing a significant rise in attendance, especially Canada’s Wonderland that has been the most visited seasonal amusement park in North America for the past few years at over 3.6 million visitors last year.

It definitely has been a wild ride over the past decade since the Paramount Acquisition as the parks continue to operate and thrive. Here is the link to the official press release from Cedar Fair in regards of the Paramount Parks Acquisition. Here’s to another 10 years of Cedar Fair successfully owning and operating the former Paramount Parks! 8)

Well I for one am DONE with cedar fair and won't even be returning for the rest of this season let alone next year because I'm beyond fed up with kings dominion being neglected for the 7th year in a row in favor of one of their big four spoiled parks. This year it was cedar point that got a coaster,next year it's kings island,the year after that it's canada's wonderland and then carowinds the year after that before the rotation starts all over again and I'm getting fed up with my $80 season pass cost being used to pay for these new toys....cedar fair doesn't allow the individual parks to put their revenue towards new attractions as some may think,instead they do things exactly the same way as six flags does.They buy rides in bulk and then decide which parks (usually the same old spoiled rotten ones of the chain)will get which ride.

Ever since cedar fair took over paramount parks all we got at KD was one used coaster from geaugua lake,one giga coaster(the LAST coaster KD will ever get) a windseeker clone a kiddie land expansion,a waterpark expansion and most recently we LOST a coaster for a stupid flat ride that could have easily been placed elsewhere in the park and as of next year they're getting a whole lot of nothing aside from trying to market a retracked hurler(a 23 year old ride that nobody goes on) and attempting to pass it off as a new for 17 attraction. I for one plan on writing them a letter addressing this issue since I'm now banned from KD's facebook page for excercising my right to give them some constructive criticism that could help them improve the park. Looks like Busch gardens Williamsburg will be getting my business from now onsince both six flags america and kings dominion have lost me as a once loyal repeat customer. I see kings dominion becoming a stand alone waterpark in the near future,then they can liquidate the ride assets to the their big four spoiled parks and they should just shut down valleyfair,michigans adventure Dorney park and california's great america since they don't give a darn about any of them.

coolpixer
New CWManiac
New CWManiac

Postby coolpixer » 22 Sep 2016, 04:33

Looks like Mean Streak is unofficially an RMC. Makes sense as to why all the parks announcements were so small this year.

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby Johnlloyd » 19 Feb 2017, 03:10

Cedar Fair had announced their 4th Quarter and 2016 Year End Earnings. It sure looks like Cedar Fair had a great season, as they boasted their 7th consecutive season of record results. In brief, here are a few things to take note of for the 2017 year:

-Addition of self-serve beverage locations across Cedar Fair Parks
-Addition of self-order kiosks at food locations across Cedar Fair Parks
-Kings Dominion is introducing their augmented reality app after Cedar Point's was quite successful after being tested during the 2016 season

To take a look at more of Cedar Fair's report, be sure to check it out on NewsPlusNotes. 8)

Johnny Au
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Johnny Au » 22 Feb 2017, 01:24

Cedar Fair could look at expanding to Latin America, Europe, the Middle East, East Asia, or Australia.

Return to “Other Amusement Parks”