Login   Register   FAQ   Search 

Postby TimgHill » Feb 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Me and Greg are trying to organize a trip down to Cedar Point this Summer. What hotels do you guys usually stay at? Last time we found a lot of them aren't the greatest, so any input would be helpful. Thanks :yes:
Also, would you recommend 3 or 4 days in late June, or less time but earlier in May (Friday-Sunday)?

TimgHill

CWManiac

Postby bratman » Feb 27, 2013 7:33 pm

Most of the hotels in Sandusky are, um.... "less than standard"

After staying at one during ACE's Spring Con last year, I highly recommend staying at one of their onsite properties.

Failing that, I have stayed twice at the Super 8 in Milan, OH, about a 10 minute drive from Cedar Point on a good day. Decent reviews and good rates.

Late June will be busy. Stay as long as you can afford it.
Paul S.- ACE assistant regional rep. - Canada.

coaster count : 449 (steel 350, wood 99)
http://www.justcoastingalong.blogspot.com
bratman

CWManiac

Postby chadta » Feb 27, 2013 8:26 pm

Agree that most are just sort of ummm

Stay away from the rodeway inn on cleveland road. half the rooms only have showers no baths, with 2 kids thats a deal breaker, wont even get into the rest of the room condition. We left a day early a few years ago when we stayed there over the 4th of july, the only good part of that trip was watching people checking in paying 189 a night for a room that i was * i paid 79 bucks for a month earlier. CP was packed I think we got on like 5 rides all day.

We have stayed at the econolodge right at the end of the road across from the thirsty pony, (cleveland road) if you want nothing more then a bed, it will do the trick, it seemed clean to me, we usually stay at the comfort inn down by #6, its a few miles away, but comes with free breakfast and an indoor pool, its one of the cheaper places to stay too.

I think years ago we stayed at the super 8 down infront of the walmart too, that might be a good option now that the sonic opened up there, cheap burgers mmmmmm, the hot dogs are way better than the 8 dollar ones you get a pinks in the park too.

We go down may 24 weekend every year, I have already booked the comfort in down by 6 for this years trip, due to past trips this ones free with my choice points.
chadta

Junior CWManiac

Postby kunpc1 » Feb 28, 2013 7:09 am

Jeff and I did a CP trip last June (Friday 22 and Saturday 23). We did Fastlane on the Friday and easily lapped the entire park twice with riding our favorite rides/coasters numerous times throughout the day. The longest regular lines were between 30-45 minutes. The longest we waited with Fastlane was around 10-15 minutes (if that).

If you're looking to spend some cash, the on-site hotels are great for the convenience factor of just being able to come and go throughout the day as you please. Breakers Express has very similar decor and rooms as the on-site hotels but is quite a bit cheaper. Remember, the CP hotels don't have a lot of the standard amenities you would find at other hotels (free breakfast, in-room wifi, etc).

Let us know if there's anything else we can help you out with.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney

kunpc1

Postby Nuance84 » Feb 28, 2013 9:12 am

Best one I stayed at was Breakers Express. Also worth checking out is "Hotel Sandusky". They were fairly clean as well, and a close second to Breakers Express. You can stop at Mcdonalds right before the Causeway, so don't put too much weight on Continental Breakfast.

Avoid at all costs the Rodeway Inn. That hole in the ground is not fit for man nor beast. The rooms are damp (as well as the sheets), and I can almost guarantee you will find mold. I woke up puking in the middle of the night at this place because of the smell and the dampness. (Might have also been the combination of Skyway Chilli dogs and chilli pasta, Steak and Shake, and Corn Dogs that made up the bulk of my diet over the previous 2 days at Kings Island and Holiday World. I think this place just put me over the edge.
Ride On!!

Nuance84

Postby MagicMountainFan » Feb 28, 2013 12:09 pm

Just stay at breakers it's worth the price and your right in the park. Picking the right hotel can mean the difference between a good trip and an excellent trip.
Top 10 rollercoasters 1: X2 2: Maverick 3: Leviathan 4: Millennium Force 5: Top Thrill Dragster 6: Rip Ride Rockit 7: Sheikra 8: Tatsu 9: Behemoth 10: Manta

2012 ride count -Leviathan:68 Behemoth:29 Vortex:12
MagicMountainFan

Junior CWManiac

Postby TimgHill » Mar 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Thanks for all the replies :)
Looking at online booking, we can get a room at Hotel Breakers for about $100 a night with CAA. We're probably going down the Victoria day weekend (18, 19, 20). We will probably get there just after lunch Saturday and leave after lunch Monday. Do you think we'll need fast passes? So far I'm thinking just fast passes Sunday if at all.

TimgHill

CWManiac

Postby MagicMountainFan » Mar 02, 2013 12:41 am

Fastpasses definitely for Sunday. You might want to look into getting them on Saturday too. I like to have the mindset that when I'm on vacation you shouldn't have to let money limit your trip. If Saturday is crowded enough that it warrants a fast pass and you believe that it would make your trip alot better than go for it. But definitely don't bother with Sunday. That would be illogical.
Top 10 rollercoasters 1: X2 2: Maverick 3: Leviathan 4: Millennium Force 5: Top Thrill Dragster 6: Rip Ride Rockit 7: Sheikra 8: Tatsu 9: Behemoth 10: Manta

2012 ride count -Leviathan:68 Behemoth:29 Vortex:12
MagicMountainFan

Junior CWManiac

Postby sheldonmans14 » Mar 02, 2013 1:35 am

Get fast passes. You want to get on everything and it's the only guarantee to get on everything.
Haunt is gone.
Behemoth Ride Count: 89
Leviathan Ride Count: 8

sheldonmans14

Postby TimgHill » Mar 04, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks again for the points on fast passes. We'll probably get them for the Sunday (full day) ahead, then judge it by how busy it is the other days. Any other helpful hints you've picked up through trips there would be appreciated as well. :)

TimgHill

CWManiac

Postby kunpc1 » Mar 05, 2013 5:13 pm

If it's busy the Saturday, spend that day doing all the mid-lower "class" attractions. The ones with shorter waits during the day. You will still be able to do the big ticket attractions Saturday evening. Then Fast Lane the day on Sunday so you can lap the park 2-3 times with multiple re-rides on your favorites.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney

kunpc1

Postby chadta » Mar 22, 2013 4:02 pm

http://www.cedarpoint.com/things-to-do/fast-lane

see the new fastlane prices ?

wonder if these are high enough to make the fastlane lines short
chadta

Junior CWManiac

Postby TimgHill » Mar 23, 2013 1:55 pm

That went up a lot now. We'll probably want fastlane for Gatekeeper and Top Thrill so that's $70 each (buying three). Hopefully with them being so high the lines will be short still. We finally booked a room at Hotel Breakers, so all that's left is to get platinum passes and process them. Any prediction on how busy it should be?

TimgHill

CWManiac

Postby Dashsanta » Apr 01, 2013 10:07 am

I Stayed at the Raddison in the Downtown Cleveland area the last time I went, I found that the Raddison was really inexpensive, it had no pool and it was just meant for business use, but was within walking distance of all the Cleveland attractions. I just drove to Cedar Point from there, I save a lot more money just paying for the gas than paying the charge on a property hotel, or something within the area.
Visits This Season - 4
Behemoth - 10
Leviathan - 10

Dashsanta

New CWManiac