Proposed Hotel

Ponder any possible rumours surrounding Canada's Wonderland here.
Ty-rant_13
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Proposed Hotel

Post by Ty-rant_13 » 27 Jan 2018, 20:12

I'm very curious as to when we'll hear more news about the on-site accommodations Matt Ouimet hinted at in this BNN interview a while back. The spokesperson from Wells Fargo quoted below the video said they had expected Cedar Fair to announce it by the end of 2017. I could see it being a Great Wolf Lodge as there isn't yet one in Toronto and Kings Island already has one next door. I could see them building it on the North part of the property taking over Dinosaur's Alive and some currently undeveloped backstage land next to the maintenance/warehouse buildings. That would allow it to have easy/direct access from Highway 400 and potentially an entrance straight into Planet Snoopy which would be good for families, who will probably be the target market for an on-site resort, especially Great Wolf Lodge. The only problem I see with that is that Planet Snoopy closes before the rest of the park, but with families staying overnight, maybe Planet Snoopy could extend their hours? Any thoughts on when we'll hear more or where it might go? Could it be open by 2019 when the new coaster is expected to open?
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

Johnny Au
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Re: Proposed Hotel

Post by Johnny Au » 28 Jan 2018, 23:02

Alternatively, Cedar Fair could construct a hotel in Vaughan Metropolitan Centre with a shuttle bus running from Wonderland to the hotel to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre station.

WonderMountain
New CWManiac
New CWManiac

Post by WonderMountain » 01 Feb 2018, 11:46

I definitely do not see a hotel ready to open by the 2019 season.... the land hasn't even been dug up yet or to the best of my knowedge approved by the municipality. Realistically I would say 2021 would be the closest to a grand opening.

As far as location is concerned I doubt it would go by Dino's mainly because a) there is no direct in and out roadway unless they make major changes to their maitenance/office on the north side and b) it would land lock and future kiddie area expansion, as big as CW's is....it has a potential to grow a lot more, or even a back half of a future large coaster.

The main areas I could see it going would be beside the ampitheatre, the north east corner of the parking lot or (I don't know if they're still using the area) where the catering facilities were moved from underneath Leviathan.

The problem with the parking lot spaces is that we are usually max capacity on hot summer days and that could create some families to not go since a couple thousand parking spaces no longer exist.

I don't know how long it takes to build a parking garage....but if they could do that next offseason it could very well work to have a hotel on parkinglot land. I'm also curious as to how far deep they could go as I have been told there is a massive river system underneath. The problem with building a parking facility above ground is it becomes very visually unappealing (unless it's decorated haha).

An offsite hotel would be great, a 5-10 minute bus shuttle to and from every hour or so would be ideal. Especially if they are creating and indoor waterpark which would use even more parkinglot space.

Johnny Au
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Johnny Au » 03 Feb 2018, 23:07

Wonderland could have acquired the Yogi Bear campground north of Bradford.

WonderMountain
New CWManiac
New CWManiac

Post by WonderMountain » 04 Feb 2018, 03:22

How long of a drive is it to CW?

Would it be a possibility to have a campground AND a hotel/

Ty-rant_13
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Ty-rant_13 » 04 Feb 2018, 16:23

WonderMountain wrote:I definitely do not see a hotel ready to open by the 2019 season.... the land hasn't even been dug up yet or to the best of my knowedge approved by the municipality. Realistically I would say 2021 would be the closest to a grand opening.
As this article describes, a Great Wolf Lodge resort can be built fairly quickly. It just broke ground a couple weeks back and is planning to be open by mid-2019 (of course, Arizona likely has better construction conditions). Probably not ready for 2019, but I could see 2020 being likely.
An offsite hotel would be great, a 5-10 minute bus shuttle to and from every hour or so would be ideal. Especially if they are creating and indoor waterpark which would use even more parking lot space.
Yeah, I always default to off-site not being as likely, for some reason, but Cedar Point makes it work. If Cedar Fair could buy some cheap land as close as, say, Teston Rd. (not sure if possible with "White Belt" restrictions), then I could see that being a much better option. Vaughan Metropolitan Centre is too far, I think, with there already being closer hotels. A shuttle bus from there on an average day would also take as long as twenty minutes, depending on the time of day.
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!
I BELIEVE IN DRAGONS!

Johnny Au
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Post by Johnny Au » 08 Feb 2018, 22:40

Ty-rant_13 wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 16:23
WonderMountain wrote:I definitely do not see a hotel ready to open by the 2019 season.... the land hasn't even been dug up yet or to the best of my knowedge approved by the municipality. Realistically I would say 2021 would be the closest to a grand opening.
As this article describes, a Great Wolf Lodge resort can be built fairly quickly. It just broke ground a couple weeks back and is planning to be open by mid-2019 (of course, Arizona likely has better construction conditions). Probably not ready for 2019, but I could see 2020 being likely.
An offsite hotel would be great, a 5-10 minute bus shuttle to and from every hour or so would be ideal. Especially if they are creating and indoor waterpark which would use even more parking lot space.
Yeah, I always default to off-site not being as likely, for some reason, but Cedar Point makes it work. If Cedar Fair could buy some cheap land as close as, say, Teston Rd. (not sure if possible with "White Belt" restrictions), then I could see that being a much better option. Vaughan Metropolitan Centre is too far, I think, with there already being closer hotels. A shuttle bus from there on an average day would also take as long as twenty minutes, depending on the time of day.
Given the plans to construct a freeway along Kirby/Mayfield, perhaps Cedar Fair could build a hotel complex by the 400-Kirby interchange. Kirby is closer to Wonderland than Wonderland is to VMC subway station.

It would have been more interesting if Nintendo had the naming rights...