2016 - Skyhawk and Flying Eagles

This is a general discussion forum for most topics related to Canada's Wonderland, located in Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
droptowerfan
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Re: 2016 - Skyhawk and Flying Eagles

Postby droptowerfan » 22 Aug 2015, 05:06

Mykidisorange wrote:Hey does this mean there is a chance of a Cwmania event next year? An ERT on this could be amazing!!

No pressure Dan.

YES!!

HAWK-A-MANIA 2016!
Top 5 CW Coasters: 1: Leviathan 2: Skyrider 3: Behemoth 4: Backlot 5: Minebuster

djchez
New CWManiac
New CWManiac

Postby djchez » 23 Aug 2015, 01:55

Does this mean we will possibly see a Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster at CW? Cuz id rather see one of these then another B&M quite frankly

Qdriver
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Qdriver » 23 Aug 2015, 16:29

miller240 wrote:What does everybody mean by "snap" the Eagles.

Judging by the video it's harder to get the Skyhawks inverted than I thought. I was hoping I could just fly around upside down

Yeah I agree with you there. I don't think it's difficult but it's probably not as easy as just moving the wings around. Just a guess here and maybe an educated one, but I don't think the ride goes fast enough for those wings to be truly effective on their own, not immediately anyway. I noticed a few riders on these videos doing only that with nothing really happening. Mind you I've only seen the videos and never one in person so I could be totally wrong.

Control, to me, appears to be a combination of changing the rider's body centre of gravity like you would on a swing, and then using full deflection of those wings to sustain your roll. Additionally given this, I would also assume that maintaining inversion would also be a little difficult. Those seats and riders appear to be bottom heavy so you would really need to find and maintain that perfect balance to overcome the g-forces created by rotating about the tower (like holding a broom upside down).

Again it's all just a guess ;)

droptowerfan
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby droptowerfan » 23 Aug 2015, 22:34

Qdriver wrote:
miller240 wrote:What does everybody mean by "snap" the Eagles.

Judging by the video it's harder to get the Skyhawks inverted than I thought. I was hoping I could just fly around upside down

Yeah I agree with you there. I don't think it's difficult but it's probably not as easy as just moving the wings around. Just a guess here and maybe an educated one, but I don't think the ride goes fast enough for those wings to be truly effective on their own, not immediately anyway. I noticed a few riders on these videos doing only that with nothing really happening. Mind you I've only seen the videos and never one in person so I could be totally wrong.

Control, to me, appears to be a combination of changing the rider's body centre of gravity like you would on a swing, and then using full deflection of those wings to sustain your roll. Additionally given this, I would also assume that maintaining inversion would also be a little difficult. Those seats and riders appear to be bottom heavy so you would really need to find and maintain that perfect balance to overcome the g-forces created by rotating about the tower (like holding a broom upside down).

Again it's all just a guess ;)

These two videos seem to provide a little more information.

First video the guy gives a bit of a commentary on what he's doing:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K1184oRhyuU

Second vid, while not the exact same ride, has an actual speal on how to flip the pods:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=94cQFPEff1k

Finally, pretty crazy video showing that, although it's a little harder to get the pods spinning than some thought, it doesn't mean you can't do some pretty mind blowing stuff!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1zde2NSaPqY
Top 5 CW Coasters: 1: Leviathan 2: Skyrider 3: Behemoth 4: Backlot 5: Minebuster

denning
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby denning » 24 Aug 2015, 21:52

miller240 wrote:
So the season pass dining plan for 2016 only gets you one meal per visit but the platinum pass dining plan gets you 2. Interesting. I'm probably going to need a platinum pass anyway since cedar point is getting a new coaster and we aren't

They just two levels and the 1 meal is cheaper than last year. Makes me happy as I rarely am in the park long enough for the second meal.

denning
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby denning » 24 Aug 2015, 21:55

Nuance84 wrote:
Duck wrote:It's a Gerstlauer Sky Roller.

24 riders capacity... looks like it will be okay after all. Maybe more than 24. The site shows max height of 115ft but CW lists 135, so maybe theres a higher capacity version.

The statement was 'heights of 135 feet' not that the ride is 135 feet hill. They are putting it at the top of that hill which will most likely add another 20 feet in height.

Marineland does the same thing in advertising their drop tower - "Sky Screamer: is the world's highest triple tower ride at 300 feet (91 m). It is situated on a 150-foot-tall (46 m) hill, making the total height of the ride 450 feet (140 m),

miller240
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby miller240 » 25 Aug 2015, 00:34

denning wrote:
The statement was 'heights of 135 feet' not that the ride is 135 feet hill. They are putting it at the top of that hill which will most likely add another 20 feet in height.

Marineland does the same thing in advertising their drop tower - "Sky Screamer: is the world's highest triple tower ride at 300 feet (91 m). It is situated on a 150-foot-tall (46 m) hill, making the total height of the ride 450 feet (140 m),

I don't think that's how it works. Marineland might get away with that type of bs but I don't think wonderland can

Duck
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby Duck » 26 Aug 2015, 00:55

Why? Did you make a rule?
I've ridden 451 different coasters around the world.

Johnlloyd
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby Johnlloyd » 26 Aug 2015, 01:17

Marineland does the same thing in advertising their drop tower - "Sky Screamer: is the world's highest triple tower ride at 30

Is it possible that Gerstlauer is manufacturing a Sky Roller that is taller than current models? Just asking because ride manufacturers will build larger or taller than their current version of a ride upon request. 8)
New for 2018 at Canada's Wonderland: Lumberjack, Flying Canoes, and Splash Island Expansion!

My blog: http://www.amusementviews.blogspot.ca

CedarFair
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby CedarFair » 26 Aug 2015, 03:04

The hill will not be a hill come next season... They clearly have to flatten the crap out of that for a stable concrete foundation. That hill is so tiny at the tip it def needs to be bulldozed down. Even by the picture, you can tell it's a whole new area leveled with the rest of that pathway. No hill.

teenagedirtbag
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby teenagedirtbag » 26 Aug 2015, 15:02

Guess the Teenagers will have to find a new place to smoke their weed if the hill does get flattened. :rofl:

HAUNT MANIAC
CWManiac
CWManiac

Postby HAUNT MANIAC » 26 Aug 2015, 17:34

That hill has already been levelled off. Remember at the start of the season, that hill only had grass on the bottom. I have said this before, marking and surveying for a large coaster would have to be done long before it is built. To plan a coaster that might come near to SkyHawks, SlingShot and Windseeker, not to mentioned Vortex and maybe more, would take alot of planning. Don't be surprised if at least some of the foundation and footers are already poured for SkyHawk and perhaps the new coaster.

mdc1271
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby mdc1271 » 26 Aug 2015, 19:43

That hill located next to Slingshot will be completely leveled, with a retaining wall on the backside, to separate Showplace. That area needs to be cleaned up, as it does not look very good at this time.
I also do believe that footers might be poured early next season, before the park opens for the summer. If CW concentrates on Skyrider's plot of land early, they can then work elsewhere throughout the summer. I am sure track pieces will arrive early, Mid June, if we are getting something for 2017.

Jaynen
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Jaynen » 26 Aug 2015, 22:19

Im glad to see two cheap piece of crap flats. Wonderland must be holding as much back as possible for a major addition. Looks like i wont be going to wonderland next year either. Although I really wanna see all those people spinning like crazy like the one guy from the video. Someone will deffinatly loose their lunch!

Honorarius
Junior CWManiac
Junior CWManiac

Postby Honorarius » 26 Aug 2015, 23:13

Jaynen wrote:Im glad to see two cheap piece of crap flats. Wonderland must be holding as much back as possible for a major addition. Looks like i wont be going to wonderland next year either.

Less people in line ahead of me!!!

Return to “General Discussion”